- 3 TB unsalted butter
- 2 medium leeks, white and tender green parts only, well washed and thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb button mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 lb shiitake mushrooms, brushed clean, stemmed and sliced
- 11/2 cups turkey or chicken stock
- 3 TB unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups leftover turkey meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- sea salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 9-inch whole wheat pie crust
- 1 prepared pie top
Preheat oven to 400°F. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large heavy skillet. Add the leeks, carrots and celery and cook over medium heat until softened but not browned, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
Add remaining butter to skillet and saute mushrooms over medium high heat until they have given off their moisture and are tender, about 10 minutes. Combine with leek mixture in skillet. Over medium high heat, stir the flour into skillet and cook for 1 minute. Add the stock slowly, while stirring, and bring to simmer. Stir until nicely thickened. Add the turkey, cream and thyme and season with salt and pepper.
With a slotted spoon, fill pie crust with filling. Pour in any remaining liquid until crust is almost filled to the top. Moisten edge of pie crust and place pie top on top, sealing the edges with a fork. Cut slits into the top of the pie. Bake for 30-40 minutes until pie crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling.
Nutritional info: Per Serving (9.25 oz.): 300 calories (180 calories from fat), 19g total fat, 11g saturated fat, 3g dietary fiber, 5g protein, 30g carbohydrate, 45mg cholesterol, 490mg sodium
from Whole Foods
Yield: 6 servings