- 4 cups fresh breadcrumbs (4-5 slices bread)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or marjoram
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 6 large ripe tomatoes, cored and sliced about 1/2-inch thick
1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. Combine the breadcrumbs, oregano, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl. Drizzle with the melted butter and toss to combine.
3. Spread half the breadcrumbs evenly in the bottom of a shallow 2-quart baking dish (11x9) and press down firmly to make an even laet. Bake until golden, about 10 minutes.
4. Arrange a layer of sliced tomatoes over the crust and sprinkle with some of the remaining breadcrumbs. Repeat layers until all the tomatoes are used, ending with a layer of breadcrumbs.
5. Bake, uncovered, until the tomatoes just begin to soften, the juices begin to run, and the breadcrumbs are golden, about 20 minutes.
from Dishing Up Maine
Yield: 6-8 servings